25.3.08

Skin Cancer Awareness

I have an appointment with the doctor today to have 2 suspicious moles removed. Being a red head with fair (what I like to call pastey) skin, I have had to be careful. Now I am making up for the hours upon hours spent out in the sun when I was younger "trying" to get tan. So remember your ABCDs while giving yourself skin examinations...


A- Asymmetry - One side of the lesion does not look like the other.


B- Border irregularity - Margins may be notched or irregular.


C- Color - Melanomas are often a mixture of black, tan, brown, blue, red, or white.


D- Diameter - Cancerous lesions are usually larger than 6 mm across (about the size of a pencil eraser), but any change in size may be significant.
And please wear your sunblock this summer! Go here to read about some of the top picks for sunscreen. And might I add that #7 on this list the Laura Mercier "Best" Tinted Moisterizer with SPF is easily the worst tinted moisterizer with SPF I have ever used! (I wear SPF on my face everyday because it is in my tinted moisturizer.) My skin broke out like it never has before while I was using it. I think I even returned it to get my money back I was so mad about it. My favorite tinted moisturizer with SPF was from Peter Thomas Roth. But, of course, it was discontinued last year. I now use Dermalogica's tinted moisturizer with SPF and really like it, although it doesn't compare to PTR. Nothing ever will.

1 comment:

Alesha said...

Wow, you sound just like me at my Dermatologist's office! And now you know why I have not been in the sun for years?