27.7.09

Watermelons





Seriously. Besides the fact that almost anything the Japanese do thrills me, this one just doesn't seem right. We were eating watermelon the other night and my dad started talking about square melons in Japan. Of course we didn't believe him, but alas, the internet proved us wrong. Dad 1, everyone else 0.

This website says...

"A fat, round watermelon can take up a lot of room in a refrigerator, and the usually round fruit often sits awkwardly on refrigerator shelves.

But clever Japanese farmers have solved this dilemma by forcing their watermelons to grow into a square shape. Farmers insert the melons into square, tempered glass cases while the fruit is still growing on the vine.

The square boxes are the exact dimensions of Japanese refrigerators, allowing full-grown watermelons to fit conveniently and precisely onto refrigerator shelves."

Yikes!

3 comments:

kate said...

Are you kidding me? I love this!

Michelle said...

Weird!

beck said...

I saw this a long time ago and forgot about it! I love the idea though!

And I would love to borrow the book if you do happen to buy it. And I am so glad you commented on my blog because I lost your blog. I saw the brida and devil and miss prymm post you did and then I lost you. But you are the reason that I read those books. I liked them both but Brida was a little weird. :)